Sunday, January 6, 2013

Brooks Pure Drift


REVIEW: Ran 5 km with these new Brooks Pure Drifts. Sizing wise they run big, with a very generous toe box. When I purchased them, I also tried the new Pure Connect 2, and even though they are both Pure, they feel very different. The PC2 felt narrow and “tall.” The PD felt roomy and flat to the ground.

PROS: very comfortable despite being the most minimalist Brooks so far. Felt close to the ground. Despite the thin outsole, my feet felt protected. The generous toe box gives lots of room for my toes to splash and splay, and balance my strides. Ground feeedback is good to excellent. The shoes I compared these to are the zero-drop Skechers Go Bionics. The Drifts give you “two-in-one shoes” option = WITH the removable insoles, it’s a 4 mm drop shoes. WITHOUT the insoles, voila! they become zero-drop shoes. I ran WITH the insoles and the Drift felt as flat as the zero-drop GoBionics. In terms of feedback and road feel, the Bionics is more responsive (i.e. you WILL feel the shocks when you heel strike). Built on anatomical lasts (photo # 3), the Drifts felt like an extension of the palm of your feet.

CONS: for whatever reason, these shoes made more noise than the GoBionics during my strides. The Drifts also has a thin outsole (photo # 3), with exposed parts of the midsoles. It was mildly drizzling when I ran with these (after a full evening of rain, so the road was wet), and I could feel my socks becoming wet during the run. It was fine on a 5k run, but these “water leaks” over 10k plus run may cause blisters. This means the Drifts are more suited for dry road-runninng, or short distance in the rain/wet roads.

CONCLUSION: looking forward to putting them on again, mainly because they felt like an extension of the palms of my feet.

Photo # 2: Injinji 5-finger socks and Pure Drifts, a match made in heaven! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment